Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 129

This morning, I was browsing around on Pinterest  (the most addictive time-suck ever) and saw this little sign.

I shared a couple yesterday that motivated me and thought I would share this one today. I don't want to annoy anyone by constantly posting these. But this blog is about my journey, my feelings, my successes and failures. So, why not share what motivates me? Who knows, it may motivate someone else too!

Ok.. back to the point.. I saw this little sign and a light went off in my head. I thought, they are right! You can have results or you can have excuses, but you know what, you can't have both!  If I want to lose this weight, I have to put in the work to do so. I can't sit here on my tush and lose the weight. It is not going to happen. I know this to be fact... just look where I was on January 1st. I have to move my body and attempt to watch what goes into my mouth.

Food today wasn't ideal. I ate more than I should have. I kept my calories within the limits set by Daily Plate, but once again I cut into my exercise calories and I really don't want to do that. I really need to sit down and plan my meals. I know that I can have a truckload of veggies for the same amount of calories that are in a muffin, so why do I eat the muffin? Makes no sense when you think about it. But when it is going into my mouth, well, that's another story. I really need to eliminate the foods that I just feel like I can't pass up. But how do you do that when your husband and children want those foods. It isn't like they are eating cupcakes. Its blueberry muffins. How do I say they can't have them in the house because their Mom has no self control?

It doesn't help my situation that I have enablers in my family. My Mom meant well when she baked gingerbread and sent it to me. She knows I love it, but I just can't have it or anything similar anywhere near me. It was super hard today not to eat the whole bowl. I didn't though. I just had one piece and told Michael to put it away. I tried to ask her not to send it to me, but she insisted that "one piece won't hurt you" and "you have to eat, you can't starve". Well no, one piece probably wouldn't hurt someone who isn't obese and I know I have to eat. I am not starving. But I don't have to eat foods that I know are triggers for me. Of course, I'd never say this to her because she would be deeply hurt. She is very ill and she still went to the trouble to make it and send it to me, that is very sweet of her.  How do you subtly drop hints that you can't have these foods without hurting someones feelings? Especially someone who does it out of the kindness of their heart?

Exercise on the other hand was pretty great today. I made it five miles on the treadmill. I did three miles, took a little break, and then did two more. It wasn't five miles straight, but it was five miles, none-the-less. My speed ranged from 2.7-3 mph, 1.5% incline. The slower speeds were while I was reading. I tend to get so into the book I forget where I am. Michael tells me one of these days I'm going to fall and break my neck.

The scales showed a nice drop this morning as Aunt Flo is taking her leave. I don't expect to see a drop in the morning because my calories were on the high side today even with the amount of exercise I got in. But that is ok. There is always the next day. I made an effort and that is what counts. My legs and heart are getting stronger even if it doesn't show a change in the number on the scale.

Before I skip out for the night, let me tell you what happened today while helping Michael work on his radiator. I accidently touched the electric fence. Yep. I sure did. I jumped up and down, screamed, about cried and said a few words that I probably shouldn't have. It was pretty hard for Michael to keep a straight face. Of course I wasn't hurt, well it hurts, but only for a second... but it scared the bloody heck out of me. Raised on a farm my entire life and I still don't pay attention. This is so something that happens to me. I bet it was pretty comical. I know I would have had a giggle had it been Michael. Have you ever touched an electric fence?

Have a great nite everyone!

10 comments:

  1. When I was a kid we'd walk across the road and take corn stalks and touch them to the electric fence. We'd hold hands and see how many people could feel the current. Dumb kids, lol. Glad you weren't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. My Dad use to grab onto them while touching someone else too. It is crazy how that works.

      Delete
  2. Alana, I totally feel your pain as far as trying to balance the dietary needs of yourself with the dietary wants of your family. It's a bit easier for me because my kids are younger than yours so they just get what I give them and that's it. They eat it or don't (mostly don't). My husband is easy in that regard as well. He will eat whatever I buy. I tell him if he wants Cheeze-Its, it's on him to buy them and hide them. I don't want to see them when I open the pantry and I refuse to buy them when I food shop.

    There are plenty of things I don't keep in the house because I have no self-control. Again, its easier with my little kids because they don't understand that their mom has major food issues (yet), but maybe you can make your boys a part of your lifestyle change. Maybe say, "Hey, guys...I'm trying really hard to be super healthy so for one week, we are not going to have anything but tons of healthy food in the house. And I want you to help me make healthy choices!" Maybe try and make it a game for them. Like if they catch you eating good, they get something (like maybe a point system thing and when they get enough points, they get a cheap toy or something).

    And as almost a full blood Italian here, I come from a long line of food enablers. I don't think there are any dropping subtle hints as far as letting people know you are not interested in eating their junk food. You either have to put your foot down and say NO *OR* accept the food and then trash it. Once slice will hurt you! You are trying to lose weight to save your life and help your mom. Every bite counts!!

    You saying NO to food will make other's feel a little insecure about their own health, food, and weight - so expect a negative reaction. That reaction is about them, not you.

    You are an awesome mom, daughter, wife and friend - that is quite obvious from your posts. You always are putting the needs of others ahead of your own. Now is the time to put yourself first! No excuses, girl! You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions and kind words. I think we really will try the nothing but healthy food in the house for a whole week thing. We need need that badly.

      Delete
  3. This will make you smile (I know I still do even so many decades later): My brother and I used to climb over the fence next door, and sometimes the electric part on the top was on, and sometimes it wasn't. But one day, when my brother was being especially annoying, karma caught up with him and he not only touched, but got stuck straddling it. Don't worry, he still managed to have three kids, but man, what a satisfying bit of fun to watch, I must confess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is too funny. Glad he was still able to have kids. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I am new to Pinterest and it is soooooooooo addicitive!!! I feel ya there:)

    I also feel ya on the struggle to eat healthy when you're a mom and have a family that doens't quite get the struggle. Those caring enablers all say the same thing "this one thing won't hurt you" or "it's okay to treat yourself every now and then". But it's bad for people who do struggle with food. I wish I had advice or something helpful to say, but all I have is an understanding or what you're going through; just know you have a lot of people who are here for you and who are going through similar struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being there to support me. It really means so much.

      Delete
  5. The journey is hard enough on your own, but add others into the picture and it gets even more challenging! I have similar struggles but I try hard to say no even if it hurts teir feelings. I know that eating something I don't want to eat will hurt MY feelings. Try to experiment with some healthier options - eg whole wheat flour vs white flour; using less sugar; making smaller and fewer muffins. It'll take time and practice but you can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm need to looking into healthier recipes and meal planning. Do you meal plan?

      Delete