Sunday, April 22, 2012

112

Today has been strange. Well, it was a pretty normal Saturday until this afternoon. My boys wanted to go over to my sister's house to spend the night. She happened to be visiting her daughter, so I met her there for the drop off.  That is when my eyes went nuts on me.

It is really hard to explain what happened. It was kind of like I had an earthquake in my eye. I lost my peripheral vision and had a big band of something like a prism across my right eye. It was really bright and was moving, shaking, flashing. Then, it went to the top of my left eye, but I still had my peripheral vision in that eye. The band was sort of like the haze you see when you look across hot pavement but it was multicolored like a prism. Its hard to explain. It lasted about 30 minutes, there wasn't any pain, and is completely gone now, but man was it scary. Even though there was no pain, my face sort of felt numb. I didn't know if I was going to have a seizure or a panic attack. Thankfully I was in good hands. My sister is an RN and was there with me. If anything happened she would have been able to care for me and call 911. Thankfully though I didn't have a seizure or a panic attack.

Michael thought it may have been a visual migraine. I've had tons of migraines in the past but never a visual one. He read a lot online and it sounds like that may have been the cause. But I'll go to the ER if it ever happens again. I spoke with my SIL's Mom who is a FNP or something like that. She said to take anti-inflammatories and vitamin b complex to reduce stress. 

After I felt better, I came back home. Michael was here waiting on me. He offered to come drive me home, but I felt like I was fine and have been ever since. I just hope I never experience that again. Ever. 

Michael and I rarely have any alone time. The boys have spent more nights away from home (at my sisters) in the past few months than I've been away from them in their life. It is really hard for me to let them go even to her house where I know they are perfectly fine. I just like knowing they are here with me, safe and sound. But most kids Bai's age are spending the weekends with their friends who aren't related to them, so I guess him staying with his cousin is a nice compromise. Anyway.. Michael and I watched Larry Crowe together and I walked 2 miles on the treadmill while he read. I haven't done much other than that because I am still kind of panicky over the eye incident. We could have went out somewhere, but I really didn't feel up to it.

Food today has been good. I'm within my calorie range, walked 2 miles, drank all my water, and didn't cave in on any junk food. Tomorrow makes a full week without even eating Nutella. Yay me!  I may do the shape up your arms video before bed, if I feel up to it.

I hope everyone who may be reading out there had a great day! 

Edited to add: This site has a video of a what a visual migraine looks like and it is almost exactly what happened to me. Except I had a blindspot too. 

4 comments:

  1. how bizarre... that video is really interesting.

    Good for you getting your walking in anyway though! You are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a very bizarre experience and certainly one I never want to have again.

      Delete
  2. That must have been such a scary experience! I've never heard of a visual migraine before. I hope that it doesn't happen again - are you experiencing any lingering side effects?

    Well done for walking 2 miles and sticking to your calories :)

    ReplyDelete