Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 161-170

Saturday, June 9, was day 161. Michael and his Dad had planned to work on the truck, but his Dad came down with a stomach virus and they didn't work on it until Sunday (day 162). Thank God, after many hours replacing the heads and putting it back together, they were able to get it running again. Michael looked like a grease monkey at the end of the day, but it was worth it.
We had planned to take a trip to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg while Michael had his time off from work, but we weren't sure when or if we would get to go. As everything revolved around getting that truck fixed and how much it costed us to do so. We had originally thought we would leave Monday (day 163) morning if they got the truck fixed. But, since they worked on it all day Sunday we really didn't have time to plan anything. We decided to wait until Tuesday (day 164) to leave. I spent all day Monday packing and looking for a hotel. We go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge just about every summer, and generally we always stay at the same place. But, it is an expensive hotel and we hoped to find a decent one at a cheaper price. We read reviews on top of reviews and finally decided on a place.

When we got there, the hotel was nothing like the photos online. I was a bit peeved to say the least. Thankfully the room was clean even if the rest of the hotel was a dump. We spent 99% of our time out and about anyway, so it worked out, but I'll never go back there again and I left a realist review and photos on trip advisor so that no one else ends up in the same situation.

Pigeon Forge is about a 3 hour drive from here, we made it into the area around 10 am. Check in at the hotel wasn't until 3 pm. So we shopped around at Knife Works and Outdoor World before getting an early check-in.  Please excuse the crappy cell photo photos. I had my big camera with me but didn't feel like lugging the thing around.
Michael and the boys at Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World
Dalton trying on a mask at Knife Works. 
We checked in, made sure the room was clean, packed all our stuff in, ate and relaxed for a little while. Then we headed off to Dollywood. We spent all afternoon and then all the next day there. When you go in after 3 pm you get the next day free. Bai had a blast and rode everything in sight. Dalton didn't want to do anything but get wet in the water play areas.
Dalt was not interested in having his picture taken after he found out he couldn't get inside the plane. 
That's Bai on the end. He was riding Barnstormer. 
Michael and I with Dalton sneaking in. At the end of a very long day at Dollywood. 
We went to Cooter's Place and Hard Rock Cafe in Gatlinburg late Wednesday night (day 165). We didn't do all the little shops as we've seen it all before. Originally we thought we'd go to Ripley's Aquarium, but the kids decided they'd rather go to Toys R Us. There are only so many times you can actually enjoy looking at the same fish, etc. So we drove out to Knoxville and took them to Toys R Us.  Thursday (day 166), after shopping at all the outlet malls, we came home. We made it in about 8 pm.

We all had fun, but made a unanimous decision that next year we are going somewhere besides Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge for vacation. We've done it all and want something new. Maybe we will go to Outer Banks, North Carolina and just lay around on the beach.

Friday (day 167) I spent the entire day unpacking and catching up on laundry. Saturday (day 168) we spent most of the day driving around to vendor malls, antique shops, yard sales, flea markets, etc. We just like to get out and see what we can find. Later in the evening we went to Michael's parents house and spent a few hours with them. We went to see his Granny too but she was taking a nap.

Yesterday was Sunday, and Father's Day. We spent the entire day at my parents house. I had bought two buckets (not sure of the size) of new 'taters at the flea market. So I peeled them Saturday night and Mom made new 'taters and gravy for us along with the big Sunday meal. It was delicious. Dad loves them. It was the perfect Father's Day gift for him. He ate and ate and ate. That being said, if you know my Dad, you know that isn't his normal behavior. He told me multiple times he loved them. It made it worth peeling those itty bitty 'taters til my fingers cramped.

Michael, Bai, and Dalton  on Father's Day
My Daddy with Bai and Dalton. They don't have a serious bone in their bodies.
Michael and I. 
Michael, Dalton, and I.  The look on Ds face cracks me up.
Last but certainly not least, a rare photo taken by my sister, Missy...
Daddy and I. 
Food has been horrible, and even though I walked a good 50 miles while on vacation, the scales are up. It is Monday (day 170) and so far so good. I'm back on track and hope to stay that way.


  1. What a fun trip! But I'm glad you all decided to try something new next year. Unless it's a beach or a park, I get bored of the same places fast :)

    I LOVE thrifting! So much of my furniture is from yard sales & thrift shops. Find it, strip it, stain it, reupholster (seat pads, no more) and ta-da, inexpensive furniture.

    1. Bai always love to go to Dollywood and ride all the rides, but it really gets old for Michael and I. Dalton doesn't care where we go as long as he gets to swim. He is a water-dog for sure.

      We love thrifting too!

  2. Love the pictures. I can imagine all the walking involved on your vacation. Good times with family making great memories. Welcome back.

  3. Looks like you had a fun time with the family! Glad you're back!!! :)